Image Map

Thursday, July 2, 2015

Introduction

I'm so excited for my blog launch!  I've thought of doing this for a while and finally went for it.
 
Once I decided to actually create the blog and get a (fabulous) designer for it, I realized I needed to come up with an actual name for my TPT store/blog.  It's ridiculous that it was the hardest, longest part of this whole process.  I couldn't land on something that captured ME.  I thought I'd come close a couple of times but they were already taken or too similar to someone else's name.
 
I started thinking about teachers who inspired me growing up.  Some were real, some were fictional.  My third grade teacher Mrs. White.  My high school ELA teacher Mr. Hammons.  My high school history teacher Mr. Van Rhyn.  Then, there were the fictional teachers:  Ms. Frizzle, Bill Nye, and (my favorite) Mr. Feeney.
 
I learned so many valuable life lessons from Corey, Topanga, Shawn, and Mr. Feeney.  Boy Meets World was a favorite with my friends.  I'm currently using the fact that I'm a teacher as an excuse to enjoy the new Girl Meets World, but truth is, I'm loving grown-up Corey and Topanga.  Upon realizing just how sentimental I was getting thinking about Mr. Feeney's last advice to the gang, I knew.  It's been what I've tried to pass on to my own little learners for the short time I've been teaching:  "Believe in yourselves.  Dream.  Try.  Do good."
 
Most of my students have never been out of Louisiana.  Many of them don't do a lot of things (travel, reading, etc.) that give them the life experiences to help them in class.  I get to introduce them to world, to history, to their imaginations.  I have to make them believe in themselves and dream as big as possible.  I get them to try things, though sometimes it's more forcing them to try things!  I really work on the 'do good' part.  I want them to put as much good out into the world as possible.
 
I'm excited to see where this blog will take me on my teaching journey.  I look forward to connecting with teachers around the world.  I want to be inspired and to maybe inspire someone myself.  Here's to many years of blogging to come!

No comments: